A grandmother has expressed her shock and outrage after her dog died after it was kept in a cardboard box.
The family had bought the pet from a pet store in Adelaide’s west, and had no idea the pet was being kept in such a state.
The box had a number of tags on it and was filled with a variety of things including a dung beetle.
“It’s just one of those things, you never know what’s going to happen,” Ms Bridgett Brackett said.
“We never thought that we would get a little bit of an issue here and there, and so it’s just a very sad thing.”
Ms Bracketts was able to take the dog out of the box on Saturday, but she said she was devastated by the death.
“She died, she’s gone.
We don’t know where she’s going,” she said.
The animal died on Saturday night, and the owner is yet to be contacted.
The dog, which was named Diggs, was brought to the house by a neighbour who was visiting from Australia.
“He didn’t think that we had a problem with the dog, so he had him out here on Saturday evening and he was just completely shocked when he got home,” Ms Broek said.
“[I’m] so upset that this has happened to our little dog, but I have to say, I’m quite happy that he is gone.”
The owner, who was not identified, was left devastated after the dog died.
Ms Broeks said the dog had been around for three years and had already become quite accustomed to being kept at home.
“I mean, it’s a bit of a shock to think that something so basic could go wrong,” she told 7.30.
“You’re not going to get them back. “
If you put a new dog in here, it’ll go back in. “
You’re not going to get them back.
A lot of the owners I speak to are very very cautious about the dog.”